Current Affairs 01 December 2017
1. Mirabai Chanu became the first Indian in over two decades to claim a gold medal at the World Weightlifting Championship in Anaheim, USA.Olympic bronze medallist Karnam Malleshwari had won the top prize in worlds twice—in 1994 and 1995.
2. Actress-producer Dia Mirza has been appointed UN Environment Goodwill Ambassador for India. Dia is also the brand ambassador for the Wildlife Trust of India.As a Goodwill Ambassador, Dia will work with the UN to further spread the message on priority areas including clean air, clean seas, wildlife protection and climate change.
3. India and Italy signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for enhanced cooperation in the health sector. Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare and Ms. Beatrice Lorenzin, Health Minister of Italy signed the MoU in the presence of senior officers from the Health Ministry and a high level delegation from Italy.
4. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik unveiled the logo and mascot for the Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar. The Chief Minister also launched the countdown timer for the international event scheduled to be held here from November 28 to December 16, 2018.
5. A South African organisation has announced that an Egyptian rights campaigner Khalid-al-Bakshi has won its Nelson Mandela award for individual activism for 2017 in Cairo.
6. India and Singapore signed an agreement to deepen cooperation in the maritime security domain and called for ensuring freedom of navigation in critical sea lanes against the backdrop of China’s increasing military manoeuvres in the Indo-Pacific region.
7. E-commerce Summit organized by the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) will be held in Chennai.
8. The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) was recognised as a national body by the Indian Olympic Association, which removed the terminated Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) as its affiliate after months of indecision.
9. India- B (Manipur) defeated Argentina by 7-6 goals to lift the 11th Manipur International Polo Tournament at the Mapal Kangjeibung polo ground.