Current Affairs 06 December 2017
1. Indian-American California Senator Kamala Harris has topped the prestigious ‘Foreign Policy’ magazine’s 50 Leading Global Thinkers list. US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley and stand-up comedian Hasan Minhaj have also made it to the list.
2. Indian-American Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal has figured in the Politicos Power List for the year 2018, for having assumed the mantle of a House “leader of resistance”. Jayapal has been placed fifth among 18 people in the Power List.
3. Sixteen-year-old Mohamad Al Jounde from Syria was awarded the International Children’s Peace Prize 2017 for his efforts to ensure the rights of Syrian refugee children.
4. Paytm founder and Chief executive officer (CEO) Vijay Shekhar Sharma has been named the UN Environment’s ‘Patron for Clean Air’.
5. American rating agency Fitch Ratings has cut India’s GDP growth forecast for the current fiscal to 6.7 per cent from the earlier projected 6.9 per cent. The agency has also cut India’s GDP growth forecast for 2018-19 fiscal year to 7.3 per cent from 7.4 per cent.
6. Kerala Electricity Minister MM Mani inaugurated India’s largest floating solar power plant at the Banasura Sagar dam in Wayanad district.
7. India and Germany signed agreements to formalize an amount up to Euro 200 million for the Financial Cooperation in form of loan for the project ‘Climate Friendly Urban Mobility III’ and Euro 11 million accompanying measures in form of grant for four projects.
8. British singer-songwriter Ellie Goulding has been appointed as a Global Goodwill Ambassador for UN Environment.
9. Melbourne will host the Golf World Cup for the third consecutive time in 2018.
10. Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli District has been included in the (NCR) National Capital Region.
11. Reliance Power said Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved debt financing and partial risk guarantees totalling USD 583 million to develop its 750 MW power plant and LNG terminal project in Bangladesh.