Current Affairs 08 December 2017
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the BR Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi. The prime minister also unveiled two statues of Ambedkar at the centre in Janpath.
2. According to a survey conducted by online travel portal TripAdvisor, Taj Mahal is the second best UNESCO world heritage site in the world.
3. Private lender ICICI Bank has launched a digital service to allow customers to open a PPF account online, eliminating the need for furnishing paper documents.
4. India Center Foundation (ICF) will host the Global Partnership Summit (GPS) in India for the first time from December 11-14, 2017. The summit is a joint initiative of India & Japan.
5. “Dangal” was unanimously chosen the Best Asian Film at the seventh Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) Awards.
6. Noted classical singer Pandit Ulhas Kashalkar will be awarded with this year’s Tansen Samman given by the Madhya Pradesh government in the field of Hindustani classical music.
7. India and Cuba signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for enhanced cooperation in the health sector.
8. India and Italy signed a MoU for cooperation in Agriculture and Phytosanitary issues that will replace the one signed in 2008.
9. France’s biggest rockstar, Johnny Hallyday died. He was 74.
10. Indian captain Virat Kohli jumped three places to grab the second position among batsmen in the ICC Test rankings.
11. National Commission for Minorities has set up a three-member committee headed by George Kurien to study the matter to give minority status to Hindus in eight states.