Current Affairs 12 December 2017
1. Priyanka Chopra has been honored with the Mother Teresa Memorial Award for Social Justice, for her work in helping refugees with food, shelter, and education. The actor is also UNICEF’s Goodwill Ambassador and is known for supporting various philanthropic activities.
2. Indian film “The School Bag” has bagged the Best Short Film award at the Vancouver Golden Panda International Film Festival. The fiction film, directed by Dheeraj Jindal, is based in Peshawar, Pakistan.
3. Nakul Chopra, President AAAI and Senior Advisor, Publicis Communications, has been elected as the next Chairman of BARC India. He succeeds Viacom18 Group CEO Sudhanshu Vats, who successfully completed his one-year tenure as Chairman.
4. The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu conferred ‘Yeraringan’ Award to Prof. M.S. Swaminathan, in Chennai.
5. India will host the One Day International World Cup in 2023 as well as the Champions Trophy in 2021.This is the first time India would be hosting an ODI World Cup completely. India has previously co-hosted ODI World Cup on three occasions (1987, 1996 and 2011). India has won the tournament twice (1983 and 2011) since its inception in 1975.
6. Indian golfer Shubhankar Sharma has won his first title on the European Tour. This is the first title win on the European Tour for the 21-year-old, who became the first Asian to win the Joburg Open in his first appearance in South Africa. With this win, Sharma has claimed one of three tickets to The Open in 2018.
7. Saurabh Chaudhary and Manu Bhaker booked quota places for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games by winning a gold and a silver medal respectively at the 10th Asian Airgun Championship at Wako City, Japan. Saurabh won gold medal in individual and team event of the men’s 10 meter air pistol youth competition, while Manu won silver medal in women’s 10 meter air pistol youth competition.
8. According to United Nation’s Report, India’s GDP growth Rate is projected to 7.2 per cent in 2018 and 7.4 per cent in 2019.
9. Russia has signed a deal to build Egypt’s first nuclear power plant.
10. Asian Development Bank has approved USD 346 million to Karnataka to build their Upgradation Project of highways.